Thursday, September 13, 2007

Ode to the "Kitchen" flag

Apparently the very first thing Bayli's class does every morning is Pledges. They say their pledge to the Bible, the pledge to the Christian Flag and the Pledge of Allegiance. I love the habit training she is receiving, and she seems to be catching on quite well...at least to the pledge to the Bible. The other two flag pledges she has combined into one...and it goes a little like this:

I pledge allegiance to the 'Kitchen' flag of the United States of America,
and to the public for which kingdom it stands,
One nation under God, 'indibidible'
with life, liberty and justice for all who believe.

For those of you who don't know your pledge to the Christian Flag...this is a very good combination of the 2 pledges combined as one. Now, I have to admit that I ascribe to the club of letting the cute phrases go, figuring she is only little once. What's the harm in calling a Starburst a Starbucks anyway? But Jason feels that even though it is indeed oh so cute, we must absolutely correct her at once. I know that's what the professionals will tell you to do, but maybe they just don't know just how much I enjoy this little girl and how much I need for her to stay little for as long as absolutely possible.

But, I am the most patriotic girl one will ever meet. I get angry every time I watch someone from the USA winning a gold medal at the Olympics and they don't sing along with our National Anthem. That is my absolute number 1 pet peeve in life! And, another interesting little tid-bit I bet you didn't know about me...my 2 favorite songs EVIR are "Proud to be an American" by Lee Greenwood and "The Star Spangled Banner". That is the absolute truth. For real. I absolutely love our country and we are absolutely blessed beyond measure to live in such an amazing place. We are the land of the free and the home of the brave people...for the love of all things Red, White and Blue...please sing along the next time you are on the podium receiving a gold medal and representing our country, ok?!

I digress.

Anyway, due to my over-the-top patriotism and feeling it was my duty as a fine upstanding citizen, I did correct Bayli on the pledge to the Kitchen flag and explained that instead it's the Christian flag. She's doing better with it...now it's more like "Kritchen" flag. She's getting there. Even though the 2 pledges are still combined as one long pledge to everything including the "Kritchen" sink :)

face for grace,
Holly

0 comments: