Monday, July 9, 2007

A college education is definitely required...

I woke up this morning and my child was a 3 year old asking 3 year old questions. By about 4:30 this afternoon, she had blossomed into a 3 year old asking 20 year old questions. Now, make no mistake about it, we've always known she was smart. We joked when she was 1 year old that we were going to pre-enroll her in Harvard. I realize that everyone thinks their child is the smartest, brightest human being that God ever created...and we, obviously were no exception to that.

For her 1 year check-up the pediatrician asked me if she could say about 3 words, even if others couldn't understand them...if we were the only ones who could understand them they still counted as words. I took a quick mental inventory of the words that Bayli could say, I'm talking clearly say where perfect strangers could understand her. The total was 15+ words. I'm not just talking "Mama" and "Da-da" type of stuff here. By her one year birthday she could say the normal stuff plus "balloon" and "elephant". By 18 months she was up to 100+ words.

How cute, we thought. Awe...she loves to talk. We really had no idea...It's now a race for the child to get in 10,000 words by 9:45. IN THE MORNING!

I really thought I was prepared for the question stage, because she's been talking for so long. And she has always talked so much, and was down-right good at it. I feel safe in saying that talking could be considered a hobby for her. Maybe one day she may be able to tie it into a lucrative profession. I'm telling ya'll...she's that good.

Anyway, for the past forever, she has been dabbling with the question phase. Just dippin' her toe in the water apparently. Why is it supper and not lunch? Because we already had lunch. But why? And so on it goes. Well, today she decided to try her hand at the big guns. She was helping me make supper and asked, "Mommy...when I tell someone I'm 3 with my hand (holding up 3 fingers) what holds my fingers up?" My limited 1 1/2 years of college education self answered her in all honesty "Your hand and your arm holds your fingers up". She said, "No Mommy what makes them stand up straight and not fall over...is there sticks in there?!" Oh. Ok.

So much for the typical 3 year old "why" questions. At this rate, by Christmas I might have to enroll in some night classes at the local university to keep up my qualifications to be her primary care giver!!

Face for Grace

0 comments: