Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Another day with the Psychiatrist

I've got to be totally honest that this whole psychiatric evaluation thing was absolutely insane (no pun intended). It seemed to drag on forever. And the crazy tests...oh my goodness! Stuff that I cannot repeat without blushing, asked over and over in one form or fashion.

Then, just in case all of that was not enough, we did the IQ testing today. Even though we will not have official results for another 2 weeks, I'm pretty certain that there is absolutely no way on God's green earth that I have an inkling of a chance of scoring higher than Jason. I was prepared for matching shapes, and putting some things in order but when she started with the mathmatical word problems...and no paper or pencil to use as scratch paper. I was done for! (Yes, you heard me right...WORD PROBLEMS!) Fractions, averages and percentages...oh my! All off the top of my head. Then the geography started...yikes! Then the whole, who was Mahatma Ghandi (did he invent Mahatma rice?) and who was Catherine the Great? The current world population? If you have 28 orange paper clips, 5 green ones and 12 red ones, and you grab one without looking...what are the odds of grabbing a green one? I told her it depended on which one God wanted me to grab. Because, in all honesty...I. had. no. clue. There...I said it. No clue. So then when we got to the part of if you are lost in the forest, what should you do to find your way out? Jason later told me that my answer of sit on a rock and cry loudly so that they can hear you and find you quicker really was not the correct answer. Go figure. That is really what I'd do. Well, actually if you want to get technical, I'm such a city girl...I will never be in the woods, period...much less alone. (In my defense, did tell her that aside from sitting on the rock and crying I thought that there was some technical thing that you can do with following the sun or something, but wasn't exactly sure how it worked.) So, I really tried my hardest, and of course I'm only stating the blatantly obvious WRONG answers here. But there were several that I think I got right...hopefully. And I'm good with grammar and vocabulary, so I'm pretty sure I got all of those right.

So, speaking of needing to know the world population in order to be considered competent enough to raise a child...

How crazy is it really that an IQ test is even required for this process? The only way that I can imagine that having that tidbit of information handy is when Gracie refuses to eat her vegetables, I can tell her, "I know from taking my IQ test that there are 8.5 Billion people in this world and I'm sure that a good percentage of them are starving...eat up little girl!"

In summary, it was a rather stressful event to say the least. All that I could think was that poor Gracie was going to have to stay in El Salvador permanently because her Mommy wasn't smart enough to pass an IQ test! Hopefully they will give me an "A" for effort and call it even!

God, I promised to make it through this process without murmuring or complaining. I'm going to honor my word, but I'm glad this part of the process is over with. Thank you for seeing me through today. I am going to try to begin paying more attention to useless information...just in case it's ever necessary again! God, thanks for creating me with a sense of humor...we both needed it today!

A Face for Grace,
Holly


I almost forgot, we got to cross two big things off the list today. We not only finished the Psychiatric Evaluations today, but we also finished with our Home Study! Yeah! Anyone who is reading, we still need favor with Immigration in New Orleans (we go May 22nd for fingerprints) and we need to get Jason's new birth certificate and my passport. Both of these appear to be held up due to crazy things in Louisiana vital records and the new passport laws. I will need these in soon to finish everything up!

0 comments: